View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #87
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
USA climber died on one of those "snow capped mtns" you mention very recently! If you voulunteer in Oaxaca-many of the kids I did Spanish school with there do so @ the orphanage in the city. If you like "real home made ice cream" find the plaza where several families serve it at night! I saw the guvner of state there one night-as pointed out by the guy buying my ice cream from his wifes family! It's real near Domino Pizza downtown area.
If you ride to coast @ Puerto Angel the hotel there near beach (with womans name escapes me now) is good stay-tiny pool good to soak your bones. Restaurant across road(sand floor) from there is OK, not my favorite either.
Good RR! My MX juices are flowing!!!
Headed out to Escondido shortly. Can't wait...

I actually met a guy named Frank from Guatemala when I was checking out Monte Alban. We went out for dinner and drinks here in Oaxaca and he was actually asked to be a part of the rescue team to go up and extract the body. He was pretty moved and saddened by the whole thing. The accident happened Saturday late in the day. By the time they had compiled a team and doctor it was midnight. They didn't arrive on scene until around 3:am... Unfortunately the boy had passed, but they were fairly certain it was instant due to the fall anyway.

Two other climbers (father/son) had to be extracted via helicopter earlier that same day. They were able to self arrest, but not without injury. Pico Orizaba is no joke! Apparently a LOT of people make the attempt to climb it, and apparently a LOT fail (unfortunately).

God speed to Charles King and prayers to his family.
d_mob is offline   Reply With Quote