View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #40
gun 4 hire OP
FTR SSR #90b

Oddometer: 128
Next race was in Brooksville Florida. Aka "Mondon Hill" is always a favorite course and as the name implies there are a ton of technical challenges involving "hills". In Florida that means a small but steep elevation change of 10-25' or so.

This year there was rain prior to race day so it made alot of the course slick (exposed roots and rocks were everywhere) but it also made alot of the open fields and dirt areas have very good traction. There was Zero dust.

Physically I was in good shape for this race as I have kept up on working out for strength plus biking and spinning class for endurance.

My wrists were a bit strained though since I had a couple hard get offs while practice riding for 5 or so hrs on the 2 days prior to this race. I hadn't ridden in 5 weeks and really needed some seat time.

Race day: my wrists bothered me in practice so I only did 3 of the 9.5 mile course. Then the race started I got off into the first turn at around 8th place. Stayed there and was able to work up to 5th or so until a crash near the end of the first lap. I tried to slip past 2 riders crashed out on a rocky hill called the "claw". I didn't take enough time to pick a line and ended up picking a line that have me a nice sized boulder that threw the front sideways. Once again the bike crashed upside down and stalled. I lost a minute at least getting back down hill and restarting the bike.

I did the rest of the race without a crash, but was slowed way down with a numb Left hand which plagued me for a good lap plus. Sometime into lap 3 it went away and I was able to rip again. I felt great and made up alot of time. This course has quite a few jumps and step ups in the MX section... And I got some nice air here and there ( nice for me anyway).

I ended this one with alot of energy to spare and
Snagged my best finish to date.... 4th place.

All who wander sure as heck ain't lost
87 Honda Rebel 450 {soon to be ratted}
http://tat09.blogspot.com/
gun 4 hire is offline   Reply With Quote