View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 04:38 AM   #41
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
I rode ny neighbors 1950 Cushman scooter a lot the summer of 1957. I was 13. I begged my dad so much for my own scooter, he got me a very used 1955 Sears Allstate cruisaire made by Vespa the following year, 1958. I was 14. I have loved two wheels ever sense.
Very similar story. Back in the early 50s, motorizing things was all the rage. There were numbers of Maytag gasoline washing machine engines that could be had for chores money and put into carts, Whizzer motors to put on bicycles, scoots and scooters (Sears, Wards, Cushman, Vespa, etc.) and motorcycles. We all wanted motorized wheels and when I asked Dad for one, he said, "How you gonna pay for it." Well, I sold my one valuable possession (an electric train set I wish I had back) and some other stuff and bought a used Cushman Eagle. Being well under legal riding/driving age, Dad marched me up to city hall where the Chief of Police gave me a stern lecture and a pass to ride, provided I never got in trouble, never got stopped and never had an accident. I went through a good number of (centrifugal) clutches riding that thing to grade school, work, high school and have loved riding ever since.

I always remembered to thank my Dad for letting me get it and made it a tradition to come back to see him on two wheels. Perhaps fittingly, the last time we ever saw each other was as I was riding off down his driveway.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 04:56 AM
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote