View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #35
przjohn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Getting the rolling chassis together was a big milestone but most of the work this weekend centered around the engine. The crank is now ready to go out for a complete rebuild of seals, bearings, and rods. This is an expensive job and is critical in a 2T restore as the seals must be replaced to have a "New" motor, and, since this is a multi cylinder motor you need to disassemble the crank to do that. I am going to contact Porsche Dave from the Triples site to see if he will rebuild it. The real time consuming part of this weekend was cleaning the cases. It starts with a trip to the car wash, then scrubbing with parts cleaner, and lastly a very fine glass bead. The glass bead needs to be done a few times as there is still dirt that needs to be Dremel wire brushed off from these old cases. I have read about guys who don't glass bead because of either failure potential or because the cases dirty quickly. I clean the bejesus out of them and blow out every orifice and screw hole. There is absolutely no glass bead left in there. I also use an extremely fine bead that doesn't make the substrate suseptible to holding dirt afterwards, almost as fine as soda blasting. It has worked well for me on past restorations. Here is a before and after of the cases and the crank ready to be boxed and shipped. Notice no corrosion at all on the crank, a real good sign.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
przjohn is offline   Reply With Quote