View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #405
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 658
Fenders, football, short-track and tires...

Saturday morning I got out in the shop early, wanted to make progress on the trials bike before the Seahawks game and then the plan was to head South to Salem for the indoor short track as soon as the football game was over. I'm sure glad things are slowing down as I get older.

After installing the rear fender (bobbed the worst of the two CB650 fenders Luke had) I planned to take the better of the two fenders, grind out the rivets and install onto the mounting bracket modifed from the first fender. After more grinding and finish work, I riveted the second fender to the modifed bracket and installed on the fork legs. It seemed simple enough, but it took a couple of hours.

The finished product;

At Salem, three generations of dirt track racers: Harry Fisher, Rex Fisher (former national number #12) and Davis Fisher, rising star;

Davis dominated the racing Saturday night and finished each race with a back-stretch wheelie. Cool!

Sunday, it was watching more football, this time my second favorite team, the Broncos. After that, back to the shop to try and get a little more done.

Time to change the crappy back tire (that's not mud);

The tire was an ancient retread knobby, it was so stiff it had been ridden by my daughter for years without air (and thanks to the two rim-locks);

My efforts to remove the stiff carcass was damaging the rim, so I decided to get serious with my trusty recip saw;

And now we're ready for a new tire and tube. Here is the used tire Luke offered, but I discovered a missing spoke so that will have to be fixed before mounting the tire;

As soon as the back tire is installed, I'll swap out motors and get it running. I need to wrap up the majority of this project by the weekend, so I can get back on the motorhome and get it ready to roll this spring. It's never boring around here!