Thread: Down Texas Way
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #58
Mudclod OP
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,475
Post Polar Vortex Ride

I'm sure weather was on everyone's "radar" with the start of 2014 and the polar vortex. Perhaps the tip of Florida escaped it's wrath. Our low in Centex was 17* without wind chill and 70* a mere four days later! Let's ride!

Gulf moisture arrived with heavy rains in East Texas so it was off to Buffalo and surrounding areas for me.

Sand is prevalent and the moisture had packed it perfectly.

The pavement was sweet as well with little traffic, but fortunately most of Freestone and Leon County is still unimproved.

After gassing up in Oakwood, I encountered my first dead end. The map and GPS showed road but not so any more.

Even though the road may be short they're still worthwhile.

Off to the deep woods of the Trinity River Valley and a break among the tall pines.

Two thumbs up! (Well, one thumb and a beer.)

I happened upon a low swampy area where oil exploration had been going on and a plethora of trails.

Then while riding through land posted as "State Land" I encountered another dead end. Hey, I'm a taxpayer right? While the fence was in a sad state of dis-repair, I elected not to take a chance alone and pass through. I'd rather drag someone along with me if caught, ha!

Just when I thought the ride was ending and I was almost back to Buffalo I decided to take a loop road off through the country and back to the same road I was on as a whim. It payed off in spades as it was the highlight of the day. While sitting at a crossroad contemplating the map a local pulled up in a truck and I asked for the quickest route into town. He pointed to the right surely knowing the condition of the road, but I'm so glad he did. It was brutal. No way a car or regular 4x4 could have made it. Only a modified vehicle (or a dirtbike) could have made it after the heavy rain.

No way two vehicles could have passed each other on this "county road" ha! At the end was an awesome rutted hill climb and then-back to civilization I'm afraid.

The end of an awesome ride!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is online now   Reply With Quote