View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #24
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I prefer riding my bike to working on it. My KLR never missed a beat on a 26000 km trip, not once. Again, replacing a set of these filters is not a job for anyone that's not a mechanic. I am a retired Air Traffic Controller, not a mechanic. Think of it this way, why buy a bike that is going to give you a ton of trouble when you want to ride overland? It's fine if you don't ride far from home, but if it takes fours days to get these filters to San Antonio, how long would it take to get them in Arica, Chile, were i spent a wonderful couple of days riding my trouble free KLR last year. If this bike will clog up so badly it won't run on premium fuel in the USA, why would anyone take it overland where you buy gas in pop bottles at the side of the road in many instances, just as i did last year, in Eastern Colombia nd Southern Peru, trouble free, on my KLR.

Kedgi
Funny I am also an ex ATC. lost my job with the strike.
This is basic stuff not really needing to be a mechanic, just understanding your machine and basic engine theory. Any bike is going to fall victim to bad fuel. I would suggest to learn the basics any bike you own and not be a slave to some shop. Pulling the tanks or looking for fuel is is a pretty easy task.
Ride a klr and be bored to death or ride a 990 with a smile, I guess that's what makes the world go around, different strokes for different folks.
I wish you well.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278