View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #62
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
Sounds like you like to complain about all your bikes.

I got butthurt over my Honda Shadow suffering a clutch failure at the very end of a 13,000 mile 48 State ride around the US, leaving me stranded on my last day about 250 miles from home. Stranded in the Arizona desert in late June. Bike had 26K on the odometer. I was every bit as cross as you are right now.

But in retrospect, I was given signals by the bike for thousands of miles before failure, that the clutch was going to fail.

It was a learning opportunity to change the clutch out myself and learn more about how it operates.

Sounds to me more like a fuel delivery problem than a filter problem, if it transcends more than 1 filter and 1 tank of gas. Wasn't there some sort of drama with 9x0 fuel pumps? Was that the 950 or 990? I don't own one. I liquidated the Shadow and now I'm on a Tiger 800XC.

Frankly, I wouldn't take the Tiger to South America, for the security reasons you've already pointed out, and because there's practically no support for the bikes down there. Pressed to do so, I'd take my old XR600 long before I'd take the Tiger.

$10K+ bikes just don't belong on third world tours. Gimme simple-stupid carburated fuel delivery with a simple-stupid inline fuel filter, a simple-stupid engine that can handle roadside oil changes with questionable Mexican/Ethiopian/Mongolian dino-oil rather than synthetic stuff that is probably "synthetic" synthetic oil if you know what I mean, and an air filter that won't have a conniption fit if all I can do to clean it is pour water over it to wash out half the dust and reinstall it.

In closing, I want to point out that your prior career has no bearing on your choice to ride a motorcycle. I'm a software developer... and an aspiring hack motorcycle mechanic. Dr. McCoy from Star Trek was always saying "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor... not a [insert blank here]." He's wrong and short-sighted. I take the Heinlein approach to skillsets.

He would have put "maintain a motorcycle" in there if he thought of it, but the vast array of skills he listed gets the point across well enough, I think.
I agree with a lot of what you say and if you take the time to read my ride report you'll see why. Try searching for the beautiful hand crafted wooden kayaks I build. My point is if you are not a mechanic don't ride this bike far from home. I have learned my lesson. Even a mechanic would have some frustration if he had paid to have fuel issues repaired so he could go home to see his wife at Christmas ( I spent five months riding in south America last year and didn't see her at Christmas, of course you know that if you've read my ride report)only to find out the issues were not addressed and then he had to sit and wait four days for the parts he thought he had paid to fix already.

Thanks though,

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 02:29 PM