Old 01-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #97
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJackWhitton View Post
Gotta disagree here, too, and point you to:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877576

Attitude/expectation matters a lot more than the type of bike. If you are willing and able to repair your $10k + bike after it falls down a cliff (as the folks in the previous thread did), then take it. If not, don't. If you aren't prepared and expect you won't have to, it's a problem if you DO have to.

Love the Heinlein quote though. I'm still working on the "Conn a Ship" part, and hope to not prove the Die Gallantly for a while yet ;)

Cheers
Craig
I love that Mongolian ride report. It partially convinced me to buy a Tiger, despite the demonstration that the bike is dependent upon the speedo cluster being functional. Seems a bit bass-ackwards to me to put critical electronics in the speedo cluster rather than under the seat or somewhere else a little better protected.

But the Tiger did run on terrible Persian/Kazhak/Ickystan hillbilly gas for them, was resurrected twice I believe from what is near total destruction, and they had the fortitude to tough it out literally in outer Mongolia where some random dude welded their bike back together after waiting almost a month for Triumph UK to get them parts. That's tenacity and it's damned admirable.

Personally, I love my Tiger in the same way a lot of people in this subforum love their orange machines. But if it falls off a cliff (with me off it!) it is gonna be toast. All of its resale value will be gone. No reason to put thousands of dollars into OEM replacement parts, hundreds of dollars into questionable third world labor or tool purchase/rental and so on. I'd leave the bike in Mongolia and catch a bus/plane either home or to my destination. It's not worth the month sitting there pulling Tony-Stark-in-a-cave repairs, when I could be at home making money towards a new bike.

Which is why I lean towards cheaper disposable bikes for third world exploration. A 15 year old XR that has a piston failure? Maybe if someone has a replacement right there, sure... rebuild it. Falls off a cliff? Buy a new clunker bike from some guy in Colombia and finish the ride.

I think you and I are in agreement, though... you balance your investment (type and value of bike) with your ability to support it (dealership network, credit card limit, mechanical knowledge). In 10 years, I might be willing to take my Tiger to South America. Right now, it'd be my '93 XR600 though.