View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #76
pyarnall
Adventurer reborn

Oddometer: 26
Hi Black Hills... I believe the short smoke wind screen I got is considered an R model alternative, but it does mount right up. That is the one that I added some rubber washer shims under the lower screws to decrease the angle a bit more to lower the clean air zone to below the bottom of my helmet.

Definitely a huge improvement over the stock screen but not quite perfect, say 95%. I drive my self crazy sometimes getting things they way I want them, but it's my nature and she is my new baby, so I will fuss with it until it is right for me. I may take a band saw to the stock screen just so I can eliminate the reverse curl at the top and see the effect. Thankfully, the replacement cost is pretty reasonable. I can't use it anyway, so no loss if the experiment "fails".

I had an Aprilia Falco for some years and it had the best aerodynamics of any bike I ever owned... maybe my favorite bike ever, but the riding position was getting too hard for me to sustain... arms, back, neck, etc.. The 990 was a whole lot better for my body, just took a while to sort out the turbulence issues.