View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #446
Flo_Evans
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
depending on what you want to do there is a huge difference between the 990 and 1190. If you are doing mostly dirt and have Dakar level skills the 990 is probably the best choice, other than that I would go with the 1190. either one is going to need fork work, but the 1190 is closer out of the box than the 990 was. reliability of the electronics is my only concern on the 1190, everything else is a step up from the 990 on the street and probably as good off road for the average rider.
Well my problem is I have to ride an hour of street to get to the dirt. I have a g650x challenge, I want something that is a little faster/more comfortable on the road, can handle taking more gear and is still not a huge pig once I get where I want to be.

I could spend a boatload improving the X and probably ruin it for what it is good at now or get a bike more suited to what I am doing.

Long term goal is a bike that can ride through south america, but the current reality is short weekend trips with some camping and gravel roads and a little single track if I can find it.

The problem is most of the time there are 1 or 2 big GSs in the group they tend to stick to easier off road and take their time.

I love the idea of a bike that can do it all but am starting to think a big bike for longer distance and a smaller bike for short dirt trips is better. Of course more bikes is always better right?
Flo_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote