View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I've taken two MSF riding courses. In both the instructors insisted on pulling in the clutch during an "emergency stop". (someone turns left in front of you, pulls out in front of you, etc) This has never made much sense to me because it would seem that allowing the engine to provide additional braking on the rear tire would be helpful, assuming the throttle is shut down of course.

What am I missing here? By the way, I've ridden for many years and have not followed their advice on the few occasions when I've been in need of a quick stop; also, I do practice emergency braking.....a couple times a year, probably not enough, but I push it until my front tire is "chirping" and my rear is not locked up. I ride a K75, non-ABS. Thanks
In a true emergency stop you are either going to be locking the rear or coming damn close due to weight transfer to the front. If the rear is already at or near its traction limit, then engine braking is out of the equation.

What pulling in the clutch does is keep you from stalling if you actually do have to come to a stop while also allowing you the ability to click down a couple gears and get back on the throttle in a hurry if the guy behind you wasn't paying attention to your emergency stop. Nothing sucks like needing to be hard on the throttle only to find you're in 6th at 15 mph.