Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmdz View Post
Barreda's exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
From yesterday

Brett Cummings starts for the next days stage from Antofagasta to El Salvador. Chile 16th January 2014 Charles Coxe CB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy safari carpente
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroadie1 View Post
I don't really know why, but not a lot of recognition on here for the performance of Jordi Viladoms.

Really ..... he has done a fantastic job. After watching him go about his business in the Serres Rally 2013 (which he won against some tough competition, on a Gas Gas!), this would appear to be yet another typically low profile, business like, professional couple of weeks from him ...... and he is running 2nd in the toughest race in the world ..... just like that ...... after a last minute bike switch.

I hope he gets the credit he deserves. What a ride. I think M Coma lucked out there. Could he have gotten a better support rider ..... I think not!

Go Jordi.
He has been Mr Consistent/stay out of the headlines in many ways this ride... hasn't he? Well during the race I mean.

There is a whole other ying/yang, Karma/reap what you sow, ironically bittersweet aspect to Viladom's Dakar 2014 story that goes back to the evnts involving Kurt's unfortunate departure, the subsequent GasGas defection of Jordi to KTM at the 11th hour... guardian angel stickers on the screen etc.

All of that aside... from stage 1 thru 12, Viladoms has ridden a slightly steadier than Alien pace, posted consistent results, with minimal delays/misstakes and as a result he is 180 km's or so away from a 2nd place podium, as water carrier to his factory KTM team mate, and (if all goes to plan) secure the #1 and #2 plates for the Mattighofen Maffia (again).

Yep, that qualifies as two weeks job well done, after a well calculated (if little risky) last minute career move. Good gamble paid off it would seem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Good ol' "lucky number 13" eh...?

I have had the patented BrodomathTM calculator out ham f5istedly crunching the numbers in an attempt to guess where "off the broom" Boom Boom Barreda might end up on SS13 if he disengages the BRAIN button and puts it into warp(SPEED) drive in a last ditch effort to confirm he is the fastest out there...

The interesting thing about the "reverse start" order is that it has the effect of "bunching" the field towards the closing stages of the SS. in the normal situation where the fastest start out front, the physical time gaps between each of the competitors (typically/theoretically) increase - kind of like a piano accordian being stretched.

With the reverse order, the rear of the field closes on the front (who are travelling on average slower) so that (again theoretically) by the two thirds of the stage completed, the middle third of the field gets closer (in physical proximity) to each other... ie. the accordian is compressed.

here's where the "passing in dust" and danger element that too old mentioned above comes in. Not only is barreda and the other Alien/elite at the rear of field moving forward through the mid pack... but the slowest riders off the front (some in limp home/get to the finish mode) are effective being overtaken/sucked back into the middle third of the pack as well.

The Brodocalculator got all einstein theory like for a while but the layman's translation came up; "it's gonna end in tear's for somebody"

If conditions were dust free then theortically purely based on speed difference between the elite, and the amatuers off the front... the last 20 riders are between 30 to 25% faster over the 157 km's than those off first. If it were "clear sailing" then Barreda could pick off 15 to 20 riders ahead... but in the dust? Russian Roulette.

If it is dusty/hard to pass... given his start position (and the 10 minute fresh air he starts with in front of him) david Casteu is in the box seat to set a good stage time (win? ) maybe not considering his shoulder injury?

It should be f5un
Quote:
Quote:
HE is a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linhares View Post
Quote:
Quote:
72 YEARS OLD AND STILL RIDING

Quote:

Nani not very happy about things - Spanish

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Boy oh boy! How unfortunate the whole affair and how uncomfortable for Nani Roma. It's worth a translation but I can't do it fast enough. Basycally he says that he's not in his position by chance that they have worked very very hard to be there and that the pression is a lot and that he doesn't deserve the whole thing. He is not clear on the team orders, says that he didn't think there were clear tema orders, just a recommendation to go slower [and this shows an umprobable naivity] and then goes on sayin that there always were team orders in Dakar, mentions the Mistus, Jead Todt's coin, and even himself last year. He says that soem Dakars were settled on rest day. He referes to Peterhansel Alphand and Lavigne as Mr. Peterhansel, Mr Alphand and Mr Lavigne and pulls the "I'm spanish and this is a french race" card. WHAT A MESS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
A lot of interesting and contradicting stuff. At first he said that the public has read more into this than it is, nothing fishy about yesterday. He waived Peter on when twice he came close because Nani had lost time, fair and square.

BUT then he says that team orders always existed and he has seen winners being decided on rest day, that he always respected team orders and that he has sacrificed his race on team orders.

And then, yes, he mentions the French - ASO thing, Poor Spaniards get screwed all the time...

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 05:51 AM