View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 04:21 AM   #1
Bowber OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
950 Adv no lights after main fuse blown

Hi All

I'm after a bit of technical knowledge from you Adv experts.
This morning I pulled out my 950 to go for a ride with friends and when I tried to start it the main fuse blew.
Ok, changed the fuse, the terminals look ok for a 10 year old bike, bit of discolouration but no real corrosion, that includes the little tab that goes to the fuse.
So I turn on the ignition and it all comes to life as normal so I start it, no problems starting it so I thought all was fine.

Helmet on turn lights on, and they don't work!

Everything else works fine AND the fuse is fine for the lights, I even changed it for a new one twice to make sure.

So now I'm 2 hours into tracing the fault and I've come to a dead end.

Yellow out of the fuse block has power, the light switch seems ok, I used a continuity tester to find which wire did what, white seems to be side lights and brown/yellow seems to be head light.
I'm kind of stuck now as I don't have a wiring diagram and the wire colours change when they go into a connector block.

I'll put a bulb onto the feed up to the light switch next to make sure it can take a load but after that I'm kind of stuck because I don't know which colour wires to look for.

So does anyone have any pointers please?
Do the lights go through a relay or just direct through the switch?
I've checked the bulbs aren't blown, and the lights were off when the main fuse blew.
Lights don't work on side or main setting.

UK bike 2003/4 silver black

Steve
Bowber is online now   Reply With Quote