View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #37
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I ride some dirt on almost every ride. Since the LEO presence is sparse, I tend to pick up the pace (a lot). So there's a bunch of heavy braking going on.

In the last three years, 35k, and 4 emergency braking events. Two in the dirt and two on pavement. They were full brake, muscle memory situations, I had no time for thinking (yes, I know, sumya are perfect and would have seen it coming ). All four ended up with the clutch in and engine running. Two with the bike in first gear and two ended up in 2nd or 3rd.
My point is: use the front brake for almost every stop. You want your reflexes to know where it is and how hard you can use it.

fwiw: I'm 66
Oyeah! I get what you're saying. I always shift down at lights for example and keep the bike in first in case I need to escape and evade, due to someone not stopping behind me. I always use both brakes when stopping, well, usually only rear in parking lots.