View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #38
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux

Oddometer: 326
Graham Jarvis is coming...
Rumored that Mike Brown, Jacob Argubright and Taylor Robert also

Over 70 entries to date with more piling in. This is a spectator event with lots of spectacle.

Webb Returns to Defend King of the Motos Crown

January 21, 2014 (Temecula, CA) - Cody Webb, 25, of Watsonville, Calif., will return to the Mojave Desert in Johnson City, California on Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 1-2 to defend his 2013 King of the Motos crown.
A three-time X Games medalist, Webb, who is also studying mechanical engineering at San Jose State, is a rising star in the sport of extreme enduro-riding.

In 2013, Webb took down British superstar and 2012 King of the Motos (KOM) winner Graham Jarvis in an exciting elbow-to-elbow battle that lasted a grueling five hours. Returning to the roster in 2014, he is considered a favorite to win KOM again.

“KOM is the first race of the year for me,” says Webb, who will contest the Endurocross series, X Games, AMA/NATC Moto-Trials and select endurance races in 2014.

“I want to start the year with a bang and prove to people I’m here to do business. The first step is winning King of Motos and putting some fear in my competitors’ eyes.”

Now in its third year, King of the Motos Presented by Trail Tech, held in conjunction with the weeklong King of the Hammers, is considered North America’s premier extreme-enduro race, combining fast desert racing with technical rock climbing and descending.

For Webb, who comes from a trials and endurocross riding background, King of the Motos is a natural fit for his abilities. His bike handling skills from trials parlay particularly well to the technical rock sections found on the KOM course.

“KOM has some of the nastiest terrain,” says Webb. “It’s super hard to ride, but that’s why they call it the King of the Motos. I enjoy riding the tough stuff, that’s what I excel at. In the U.S., there is nothing comparable, even worldwide there is nothing that compares to it.”

The difficulty of the terrain is exactly why Webb has been all business with his preparation. “Endurance is a huge part of it,” he says. “To practice, I go out by myself and find creeks and anything rocky to push my bike up. It gives me a feel of what it’s going to be like when I race.”

In 2013, more than 30,000 people traveled to Hammertown USA to campout and watch the races live. Located on Means Dry Lake Bed, Hammertown is part of the greater Johnson Valley OHV area and is home to the start/finish of King of the Hammers and King of the Motos. The town is built a week and a half prior to KOH, and disappears off the map only a few short days later.

In 2014, the King of the Motos Presented by Trail Tech will include qualifying on Saturday and a two-part final on Sunday. 2012 KOM winner, Graham Jarvis of the UK, will return to challenge Webb and it is expected to be an epic battle. Jarvis was seemingly unstoppable throughout the 2013 season.

Following the King of Motos final on Sunday, the 2014 Griffin King of Hammers Presented by Nitto will begin on Tuesday, Feb. 4th and conclude with the grand finale race on Friday, Feb. 7th. Both events will air live via webcast. In 2013, over 60,000 viewers watched King of the Motos online. This year’s live webcast will begin at 7:00 am on Sunday, February 2nd. For the first time in 2014, the race will be broadcast on CBS and NBC Sports.

Interested competitors can still sign up at www.ultra4racing.com.
Scotty Breauxman is offline   Reply With Quote