View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
Rut Runner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Day 3

Tow #4:

This was my 4th tow of the trip. Thank god for AAA/CAA benefits. The local shop in Buena Vista couldn’t fix the problem so it had to be towed back to a dealer in Canon City. I thought CAA would cut me off for this one, but no, they covered the 90 mile, 2 hour tow to Canon City.

The driver for the tow was local to BV, and also does back country towing and extrications with his own 4x4 tow rig. He charges $260/hr from the time he leaves his house until he gets back. Most of his business is foreign tourists driving their rental cars where they shouldn’t.

The drive to Canon City is pretty scenic, even in the pouring rain. Canon City sits on the edge of the mountains like Denver. The service person at the dealer says there is great riding in the area, including one end of the Rainbow trail. Too bad it’s solid rain for the next two days! With little other choice I rent a car and do the regular tourist thing for two days. During this time the town of Boulder gets 9” of rain in one day.

When I got my pickup back there was still no break in the forecast so I hammered it to Utah, desperate to catch up on my riding. I arrived at the White Wash sand dunes in the late afternoon and managed to get in a tour of the slickrock. I ended up riding with these 3 fellows for awhile:

While out on the rock there was a violent thundershower. I didn’t want to risk damaging my camera so I don’t have any pictures. I was in a deep gully when it happened, and it was quite a “transformation” of the landscape. Waterfalls started appearing everywhere and the cascading water produced fast flowing streams over the slickrock. I’ve never seen anything like it before.

To be Cont'd

t
Rut Runner is offline   Reply With Quote