View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,582
In 2012 I put about 6,000 miles on my mostly stock '75 CB750K, on two multi-thousand-mile, multi-state trips. I put about twice that on my dual-sport, a KLR 650.

The CB750 is a great motorcycle. The suspension is a bit harsh on unpaved roads. I have new fork tubes (Forking by Frank) but stock springs. When I got it in '09 the seat was lowered. I returned it to stock height but it's still lower than I'd like. When I broke a speedometer cable in Pennsylvania, I found a replacement at the first shop I tried. (It's not Central America, but it's all I can offer.) The CB750 is a compact hunk of metal -- it doesn't look as imposing as, for example, a WeeStrom 650. You may not match the displacement of the local bikes, but you won't be sitting up on some tall SUV either. The CB750 was important enough for Honda that they over-engineered it and that has paid off in very good reliability.

There are reasons I put about twice the mileage on my dual-sport. The suspension eats up holes on gravel or pavement and makes any road more comfortable. It has far more leg room than the CB750. It gets better fuel economy than the CB750 and carries more gas so the range is about double. For iffy traction standing on the CB750 is possible but not very comfortable --standing is far easier on a dual-sport.

I put hard luggage on my dual-sport, as a gravel-road tourer, but have soft bags on the CB750 which makes it just a little less convenient.

I don't do this to impress people, but people notice the CB750 and tell me about the one they had or say they're glad mine is still out on the road being used.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote