View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #69
Dusty1013 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
When someone assigns a motivation to anyone else's actions the discussion often is not about the subject anymore. "You're not man enough to ride a 'real' bike." "You hate America." "You're scared so you wear those crash pads and ugly jacket."

I didn't hear your conversation but you probably shortened it to fit it into a post. It's possible that assigning you the ugliest motivation is an attempt to shame you into conforming to what the cool kids do. Happens on this forum with everything from the cool dual-sport to the most authentic experience.

People can wear hi-viz without being scared or believing in magic. But those two accusations can put you on the defensive. Once you start trying to defend yourself from the false motivation you've half lost the argument.
In hindsight it was a poor choice to end my opening question with "Or is it to low on the cool factor." I would hope it has nothing to do with that. The posts above by people who don't wear it is simply a matter of - They don't believe it works or they are exercising their free will and are choosing not to wear it. As simple as that. Guess it's just as bad saying "what it's not cool so you don't wear it." As it is saying "If you are that scared drive a car or why do BMW riders wear that dumb color." Not my intention to throw stones from my end of the spectrum. Most people don't wear it and wanted to hear what people thought. Ride safe, wear what you want in my book.