View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #22
Beastly Adventurer
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 1,131
Originally Posted by Xskydiver View Post
Two reasons.
#1. With OHV you get access to state trust land. Without the OHV you have to buy a separate permit or hunting license.
#2. Save a bunch of money on your registration and support OHV access. I personally feel I spend enough on highway registration with my other three vehicles and trailer so saving the vehicle license tax on my bikes in favor of supporting OHV in AZ isn't "gaming the system", to me, it's putting the money where it belongs. My bikes make almost no impact on the highways anyway.

Registering "primarily offroad" with OHV sticker gets you an "MC" plate, $5 vehicle license tax and $25 OHV sticker. "offroad only" gets the "RV" plate (I think it's about $7) to which you can add a $25 OHV sticker. You may also register as "primarily on road". The on road registration is based on your vehicle's value. You may add an OHV sticker to that plate as well for $25. An "MC" plate is street legal in any circumstance no matter what you pay for the vehicle license tax. The OHV sticker is still fairly new to Arizona and many if not most MVD (that's what they call it here for some reason) workers have no real understanding of it.
Better double check that #1 reason. Pretty sure it isn't right.
1989 R100GS
russbryant is online now   Reply With Quote