View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Riding a bicycle for off road motorcycle fitness and skills

I put this thread here, instead of sports, because the discussion is more about riding a bicycle for improving motorcycling.

How many of you ride a bicycle for offroad or racing fitness? Do you feel like some of the bicycle skills also translate to the motorcycle?

I trailer my offroad motorcycle to ride and probably average 1 - 5 rides a month depending on the season. It's typically an all day affair so I don't get to do it often enough.

For fitness and some fun I ride either a mountain bike or rigid frame flat bar hybrid style bike with 700cc tires. I typically ride 3 - 4 days a week right from my garage. I cut across town riding through neighborhood streets, parts of unused sidewalks to avoid busy streets, through schools, churches, backs of businesses and through bits off road or through parks. I often stand on the pedals when weaving through tight sections or dropping off curbs etc. Often while standing on the pedals I feel like I'm on my motorcycle. Sometimes when bombing through a hilly and curvy neighborhood, I envision cornering on my motorcycle. I probably have even made engine noises at times! :)

The bicycle definitely helps fitness for offroad motorcycling. I think it might also help keep the rust off some of the balance and line picking skills needed for motorcycling off road.

Thoughts?

mikem9 screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 11:30 AM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote