View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #267
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasM View Post
I ran a Shorai LFX 18 battery in my 990 SMT which worked fine until it would no longer turn the engine over. After discussing the problem with Shorai, they did replace the battery with a new unit under warranty. Note that the 18 Ah rating, as already mentioned, is greatly exaggerated.

I have used the Shorai LFX 12 battery in my Beta dual sport bike and it was no longer functioning after about a year. I have had much better success with 5 Ah TurnTech batteries in my dirt bikes. Currently over six years in my '08 KTM HTR 350 XCF-W and still going strong; eight years in my '04 KTM 540 EXC and still going strong with the current owner of the bike.
early Shorai LFX18 were 5AH actual .. some of the current LFX18 are about 7AH actual. both would be marginal for moderate temps. certainly not enough AH capacity for adventure duties far from support including cold temps.

for adventure duties stuff the largest LiFePO4 that fits into 990 battery tray .. that would be EarthX ETX36 (14AH) .. folks that's gone this route has reported excellent results even with cold temp starts.

it's a good idea to keep track of LiFePO4 voltage with putting bike away for the night. 13.3v (90%) is desired voltage and indicates everything is working well.

a desirable upgrade for 950/990 is MOSFET R/R ...

are you saying you've had a 5AH Turntech LiFePO4 installed in two of your bikes for 6 years and 8 years?
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote