View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Animal Instinct OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Day 1, August 10, 2013 - Wichita Falls, TX to Black Mesa State Park, OK

460 miles, ~9 hrs 45 minutes
Packed and ready.

The plan: LA drives the Xterra on the main roads, Red and I take the backroads and we meet at the end of the day at Black Mesa SP, OK.
We head to Colorado every August for a couple magical weeks to escape the oppressive Texas heat. Today is a cool 95, earlier in the week we had hit 108.
Rather than taking US 287 to Amarillo, I hit the backroads and headed north for Oklahoma. This road I've ridden hundreds of times was blocked at both ends as they were replacing an old bridge with a metal culvert. My first obstacle only 25 miles from home. An omen, perhaps?

Crossing the Red River, a visual border between states on US 70 into Oklahoma, where US 70 becomes US 70/183.

It was here that I realized I forgot my rain gear. Another omen this soon? Fortunately LA had not departed yet and a quick phone call remedied the oversight. I guess cell phones aren't so bad. When there is an alternate means of transporting your gear, it is simple to do a slouchy job of packing the bike. Tools, tire irons, spare front and rear tubes all stay in the pvc tube and ugly faded green backpack permanently.
Animal Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote