View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #9
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
I had been riding for around 5 hours by this time

and began to question taking on such a large chunk on the first day. I began to feel pressured to get to Black Mesa before dark. As a rule, I never ride in the dark and did not want to start today. Doubt was starting to set in when a "historic landmark" sign caught my eye just as I was getting to the bridge....
So I pulled off in order to waste more time. This is an adventure after all.

I started out with my helmet on, intending only to snap a quick pic and book it. I was drawn to the Canadian River Wagon Bridge and wound up spending 30 minutes or so knocking around. Oddly enough, my "bridge day" was slated for tomorrow. Who would of thunk it?

As seen from US 83

About 20 miles northwest of Canadian, SH 281 heads due west. I took it, and you always get this when there are time constraints

A zig-zag north on SH 70 then west on FM 759 all the way to Spearman, TX where 759 becomes SH 15 heading west northwest. This was a redundant, painful jog.

I stayed the course until turning north on FM 119 to US 54 for a short jog into Texhoma, TX & OK. The town straddles the state line. The main drag was brick and virtually void of any activity so I took the liberty of snapping a couple pics.

Those nifty Olympia Airglide III pants are nice for ventilation, and I love the pockets. They are a recent purchase and seemed well liked in the reviews, but some complaints were posted about the velcro at the knee becoming irritating. I had sort of noticed the sawing effect on a couple test rides, but after 7 hours there was no mistaking the discomfort just above my knees, especially when I stood up. Rhut Rho, I've got 15 more days of this.
Animal Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote