View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #13
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Day 2, August 11, 2013 -- Black Mesa SP, OK to Alamosa Campground, CO.

320 miles, ~10 hours

Even though the campground was nearly full, it was quiet last night except for the thunder that kept at it for a couple hours after we retired. I got up and went for a 6 mile run on SH 325. It's fun to run in new places with different conditions. I met a couple of cowboy lookin fellers about 2 miles out in a white pickup. We exchanged waves, and having grown up on a farm, out in the country, I can imagine the laughs they shared about the skinny guy in the skimpy shorts and no shirt. I was pondering all this when the unmistakable crack of a hunting rifle nearly made me jump out of my short shorts, literally. Were they plinking at a bucket, messing with me, putting a downer cow out of her misery, shooting a predator back there that may have had its eyes trained on me? I turned and started back to camp, churning up a slow, long, uphill stretch. I felt relief when I saw the pickup go off down a dirt road heading south rather than turning to meet me again.

LA had made egg and sausage tortilla roll ups that would provide breakfast and snacks for the rest of the day. I showered and would not recommend anyone hoping for modern facilities undertake that endeavor. The cardboard toilet paper roll that served to direct the water disintegrated about the time I needed to rinse shampoo out of my eyes and the water almost got warm just as I was reaching to turn things off. I am not complaining and will likely visit this facility again someday. Freshly cleaned, I checked Red's oil level and added just over half a quart. Like I said yesterday evening, I was spurring pretty good late in the day. Good thing I brought 2 quarts.....

Breakfast time

That green tent is the smaller of two we are carrying on top of the Xterra. It's for the one night stops. The orange tent is for extended stays. This is vacation for us and LA likes to be comfortable, so there is a queen sized airbed in there and she makes it up like a high dollar hotel. We often joke that it's more comfortable than our bed at home. Don't get me wrong, we do a fair amount of backpacking adventures and are no strangers to minimalist camping.
Animal Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote