View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #14
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Packed and chomping at the bit,

we get off to a mid morning start. County road D0073 exits the park's west side

then winds around a bit and joins SH 325 heading west.

Black Mesa, Oklahoma's high point, is situated just north of here. We climbed it a couple years ago just for the heck of it. If, for whatever reason, you ever decide to conquer it, the actual marker is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but a trail leading south about .5 miles takes one to the very edge of the mesa, a shear drop off, and a fantastic view of the farmland that gets irrigated out of the Cimarron River. In fact, I relayed this very information to a solo motorcycle guy that camped in a hammock next to us last night and mistakenly told him the trail leads off north. Luckily I caught him this morning and corrected my mistake before he took off.

Both pictures I took of the New Mexico state line were blurry and I chose not to include them. OK SH 325 turns into NM SH 456 and continues west. There's the mesa extending into New Mexico. Oh lookie, a windmill.

As the landscape transforms, the relief of departing society begins to flow through my nervous system. Months of anticipation are just beginning to become reality. Into the Wild ~ Jon Krakauer

Animal Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote