Old 01-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #17
The_Precious_Juice OP
In Garrison.

Oddometer: 1,771
day 9

28Jan
Daytona, FL
Tuesday

The best day of the Adv tour (except visiting with family)
Morning view from motel

I check out of the SkyWay motel before the dead line of 1000, and got my $5 deposit back.

The bad thing about my soft bag (recycleing old military packs) approach is that I'm always twicking and peaking it. Itw twakes a good while to get ready to go.

I used the Nexus 7 to map out a route down to Astronaut country.

__
I rode by the Daytona Super Speedway. It appeared that turn four is where you first see the track. The main drag takes you by the front stretch. They were working on the track from the outside with cranes and scaffles and such.
I did not go inside and see the museum. I'm done with Nascar. I was into it something fierce back in late 2000-2005. If was 2006 I would have stopped by because Jeff Gordon's car would have been still on display from 2005!

I jumped on the I-95 to knock out some slab. I did not intend to do so much roading on the interstates from my planning thread, but like the inmates from the DR thread type, the bike is smooth at 70mph. It almost seems to ride more smooth after 65mph. I figured, the lower the rpms, the smoother it would ride. I mean, hell, I have a 650cc bike, might as well use it.
Went east on the 44, and then route 1.

I got off at Edge water 32141 for gas (2.156 gallons/ $7.37). I lubed the chain and tighten up my alice pack on the left side of the bike. I finished off the third meal of the Molly Hatchet's sub. I bought a couple of cliff bars for good measure. I was surprised not to travel with so little food at some times. That is not like me. But, I have to ride light right?

I failed to find the 3, so kept on the 1 south. East on 406 into the Canaveral Merrit Island. I used the $80 national park pass to get inside.

I cruised around to the Playaloda Beach.

I taked to a old timer on a Tinman V-twin with what looked like a better off road front tyre than mine. I should have gotten a better pic. He said I'd get a ticket the way I parked, but his spot was fine.

Facing West. Behind me is the ocean.

Looking south

He recommended the Bio Lab rd to see some gators. After I took some pics of the beach (big time nude beach.
Looking north

Looking south

I rode over to Bio Lab road around 1530.

The Mighty DR was perfect for these conditions. I rode standing up most of the time. The torque is hellia sensitive in first and even second gear.

Thanks to some cagers parked on the side of the road, I saw my first gators in the wild. They were big enough. I was a little spooked out after the cage left. No mistakes made, but I did park the bike with the kick stand facing in board, not toward the canal, so next time I'll not make that mistake again.

I had to go toward Tutsville to route 1. It was a bitch trying to find the 406 east.

I rode by the Kennedy space center and had to back track and find the 3.

I eventually found the A1A. Picked up some gas (1.74 gallons).

I rode south for about 40 miles, then I started heading west to find a secret squirrel spot to camp.
I was near the Old Dixe Highway and Gifford when I started really looking. No joy, too many homes and farms. It was about one hour before dark, and the area was too high visibility.
I was riding around on the hard packed sand dirt. Standing is a must here.
I got complacent and did not watch my surrounding, and made a turn too late, and got into some no sh$t sand, and she stopped, and I put down my left foot to catch here, but no go, so it was a easy drop. I pushed the kill switch. I tried to strong arm her up, but failed, so I did the deal were you face away from the bike and grab a handle bar and something else. Man, it was still hard to get up! WTF! I had to twist the throttle a bit on the re-start to get her going. No damage done. I just had to adjust the side mirror.

I aborted this area, and rode further south as night fell.
I was close to Ft. Pierce, when the good ol Old Dixie Highway took me south and then I located a spot on the other side of the train tracks. I layed dog for a spell. I tried not to spook the cattle on the other side of the gated fence (maybe 75 meters away).

I checked in via phone. I had 37 mins left on here.
To my luck, someone had dumped a mattress there, so I used to to sleep on. The big tarp did the job with ease. I was completely lights out, not even red light, so I did not get out the Nexus 7 out for pics. I pused the DR over to a grassy area. Man she is heavy to move around. I'm glad I did not go with the 477lb 2012+DL 650.
I got some piss ant bites while setting up. I had put on sandles.
I ate my last meal (a cliff bar), granted I still had plenty of protein powder.

A good amount of dew was forming. the train came around 20:08 and about every 2 hours after that. It would go both ways. North and south. interesting. Good to see progress.

I did not sleep very well.

_______
Total miles: 224
maybe 6 miles off road.
Drops: 1. (the first one of the tour) no damage.

total $ : $17.00 or so.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 10:57 AM Reason: added pics
The_Precious_Juice is online now   Reply With Quote