View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 01:57 PM   #26
Animal Instinct OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Then out Montoso Road to US 64 north

and eventually US 285 north into CO.

We stopped for gas in Antonito, CO and since it looked a little threatening off to the west, the direction we would soon be going, I put on my raincoat. As I walked around, the velcro in my pants was now undoubtedly gnawing into my flesh, I conceded the fact that I was going to have to come clean to LA tonight. Maybe let her take a looksie.

A little further on US 285 and then west on SH 15 and into Rio Grande National Forest on FR 255 which begins where SH 15 turns north. There was a light drizzle that seemed to want to thicken so I stopped and (painfully) put on my rain pants. Now I was starting to get mad about my new britches, and was considering not wearing them tomorrow. FR 255 crosses through some private land before merging with FR 250 at a startlingly low Terrace Reservoir and Alamosa CG is a mile or two on past the reservoir on the south side of the road.

The rain gear had my camera trapped inside so I failed to photo document the approach to Alamosa CG which is a no fee campground with a vault toilet being the only amenity.

It never rained, and as the shadows grew long the precipitation ceased altogether. We set the green tent up and I got a fire going with wet wood and a little help from a splash or two of Coleman fuel. We dined on Jalapeno Cheddar dogs rolled in, you guessed it, tortillas. Our tent was maybe 20 feet from the Alamosa River, and it sang us a lullaby.

Comfortably tucked into our queen size bed, when most folk would be sharing pillow talk, I raised the subject of the velcro torture device. LA got her mini maglight out, turned the pantleg inside-out and did a quick troubleshoot. "You've got to make sure the two strips match up precisely, like this." I had my doubts, but was eager to give them a try in the morning.
Animal Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote