View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,852
More suspension can always be put to good use. I love the ability to ride rough roads and not get a sore back or those kidney pounders that I feel even on my big plush Harley. The worse suspension lives on my Duc which sometimes feels like there is none at all. I haven't been able to do more than about 250 miles in a day with that one.

If I had just one bike, it would be a long travel adventure bike. The road choices are better, nasty paved goat trails don't kill you, dirt roads don't make you shy away when you back get's twitchy and the right bike will also handle the curves at hyperlegal speeds as well as any sportbike/sport tourer. Can you go faster with something purpose built? of course but it's tough when you want to do it 1000 or 4000 miles away.

I still prefer the little bikes for commuting, especially lane splitting.

The one downside for me is that I might be tall but I have short legs... I could lower the bike a bit but I like the commanding view (like being in an SUV). I can touch one toe down without shifting or 1 flat foot if I slide a bit off the saddle. It took about a week to get used to it... now it's only an issue on sideways grades or offroad.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote