View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #17
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Fair enough then. Fastdadio knows, but for the rest of you, I'm a cop and have been trained and regularly use both radar and laser for speed enforcement. Given that, I'll also say that in the end this is just one pig's opinion. Take it with the appropriately sized grain of salt.

First of all let's discuss laser because that's where most MC speed tickets come from. Laser is virtually instantaneous and pinpoint. No laser detector can tell you of there is a laser speed measuring device in the area because the laser beam is so small. Basically, if your laser detector goes off it's only telling you that you're about to get pulled over (if you were speeding).

Radar is a similar story, but where these devices have a very small chance of saving you. LEO's are trained to NOT activate the radar until they have identified a speeder. This is partly to foil radar detector users and partly because it's unnecessary.

If you sit in one spot for 5 minutes watching traffic, even the untrained eye can spot which cars are faster and LEO's are not only trained at this but spend a lot of time at the same locations doing just this.

If I activate my radar to measure your speed, the odds are very high we're gonna have a chat. So again, the detector only tells you that you're busted.

It is possible that you will find an LEO improperly using the device and measuring the speed of every vehicle, but that would be rare, IMHO.

I am sure many will post about all the times their device went off and then they saw a cop a mile later, but how do you know it was his radar that caused the device to go off and not other interference?

Then there's the intangibles. LEO's have discretion in who gets a ticket. Most LEO's I know write far less tickets then they give out warnings. (unless it's a traffic car, those guys would write there Moms tickets)

But, when you use one of those devices it's viewed by most LEO's as an intent to break the law. Talking your way out of a ticket with a radar detector attached to your bike will be MUCH more difficult, if not impossible.

There's more, but this is already long and I've had this argument before so I know it's impossible to change the mind of real RD believers. For those of you who are considering it, I'd recommend you stay away.

EDIT and P.S.: When I was in the academy the RD our instructor used for training broke so he went down to the local Radio Shack and bought another. He gets it back to school and fires a radar unit at it. Nothing. He goes back and gets another. Same result. He then brings his radar unit to the Radio Shack and tested every unit they had of this high end brand and every unit did nothing when a radar unit was activated at it. He found a cheap one that worked and bought it. How would you know if yours just didn't work?
One of the most informative posts I've ever read here. Don't you know that this forum is supposed to be reserved for trolling, flame throwing, or spreading ignorance? Sheesh!

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote