View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #32
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I live and ride a lot in PHX. AZ. Lately I've noticed a lot of cagers using the left turn lane as a "safe place" when they want to turn left. They typically dart into the left turn lane when traffic coming from their left permits. Then, coast/drive slowly, sometimes blinker on/sometimes not, indicating their intention to move to the right when possible.

Is this maneuver legal where you live? It used to be illegal here, but I've never seen it enforced; not sure if it's currently legal.
It is legal in California and Arizona, and likely always has been legal.

Source; http://www.arizonadriver.com/course_sample.html

Many major surface streets have center lanes that can be used by traffic in either direction to make left turns. A two-way left turn center lane is marked by double parallel yellow lines, with the exterior lines solid and the interior dashed on each side. If a street has a center left turn lane, you may enter and use it to enter or exit a driveway or private road, when preparing for or making a left turn, or when preparing for or making a U-turn if permitted. If exiting a driveway or private road, you may use this lane to merge. You may not drive more than 200 feet in the center left turn lane. You may drive across a center left turn lane if needed.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote