View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
MotorcycleWriter OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
You own two BMW's. Can't you afford to hire a mechanic to follow you wherever you go, with a complete set of spares, in a four wheel drive ambulance?
I think this highlights a misconception about most BMW owners. You are referring to the smaller group who buys bikes new. I'm in the majority group who buy our bikes second or third hand with tens of thousands of miles on the odometer. I picked up my RT 11 years old, low miles, from an older gent who'd bought it hoping to relive his youth only to discover if you don't take care of your body it won't take care of you. I bought the GS this summer from the original owner who was more concerned about it going to a good home than turning a profit. The deal I got has made more than a few people turn green. She's a bone stock beauty. Also purchased from an older gent. I paid less for both bikes total than for a five year old F800 in the flea market

As an engineer I like BMW because the boxer is a robust, easy to work on design. I like air cooling because of the simplicity. And because the Germans know how to make some quality stuff. Repairs aren't cheap but I've owned a lot of bikes and none of them are cheap to fix. I also like BMW because they have a rich history of amazing engines- everything from the Fokker Dr. 7 to the Messerschmitt 109. And of course, the tried and true R.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote