View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #18
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I have 125K miles on my 05 R1200GS and it is going strong. No reason to believe it will not continue to do so.

Few 70's Hondas can even approach that without extensive repairs and maintenance.

With some exceptions, of course. But the point is well taken here. Unless you get a lemon, a newer bike is almost always going to be more reliable with less downtime for maintenance than an old bike, even an old bike that is still in great condition. When you factor in the reality that most old bikes have been abused and neglected for most of their lives, the disparity only increases.

I'd wager that even if you had a time machine and were somehow able to go back to the 60s or 70s and take your pick of showroom new motorcycles, bring it back to the present, and ride a comparable modern bike under the same conditions and for the same mileage, the modern bike would still be less hassle.

Now, I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. I've owned, ridden, and worked on more bikes from the 70s than any other era, and I like the mechanical simplicity and ease of tinkering. But if I were only able to have one bike, I'd want something newer that I could count on to get me to my destination every time with no complaints.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote