View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #19
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
What is most important is getting the rate of decelleration right. Using downshifts to do so requires a lot of practice and work, but it keeps the engine exactly where you want it in the powerband.

The owner of said videos rides about 20mph faster than his group, largely because he does not have to bang three shifts in a row every corner, instead he spaces them out a bit and this dramatically smooths out his line and his decelleration profile, along with keeping the entire bike spun up. it's multi-tasking to the extreme.
Wasn't that long ago that a truck, car, or bike (at least the ones I owned or drove) had pretty ineffective brakes, and wouldn't stop effectively on the brakes alone. The brakes were so bad, that downshifting progressively back through a manual gearbox for braking purposes was pretty much the 'correct' way to drive/ride. You started practicing it the day you got your licence. Changing down the gears was about the only way to pull a single disc rear drum CB750 up. Imagine whatever you ride now with about 1/4 of the brakes, that's about what they had I guess.

So for me your comment was quite interesting as I hadn't given any thought that what to a certain generation may be a basic driving/riding technique may have become a bit lost to a generation only accustomed to cars with modern automatic gearboxes and powerful brakes.

JohnCW screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 06:56 PM
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote