View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #45
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
Old bikes are fun to tinker with and ride short distances.

Modern tech is far more reliable, never mind modern materials in engines. It is rare these days to check valves the first few times and really need to do any adjusting. Not so on old bikes.

I'll take a newer bike for reliability any day..
I bought this bike at a swap meet back in '07. I rode it 4000 miles getting used to it.
Then in the winter of '08 I decided it would be my ride for a cross country trip.I modified it to suit the load and preped it to survive some rough gravel roads I like to ride.

And it came out like this.
Then I rode it from Kentucky to Seattle, by way of Monument Valley,getting stuck in a snowstorm in Nevada on 50 and left it at my cousin's place in Bellvue, Wa.
The next year I went back and took it on a loop to Montana via the MaGruder Corridor between Elk City,Id. and Darby , Mt. and through Hell's Canyon on the way back to Bellvue.
In '11 I picked up the bike and rode north to Vancouver Island then over to the mainland and up to Kamloops, then back to the states across Montana then south to the Mexico border in Tx.and home via New Orleans to Kentucky. The 3 trips combined totaled 13,500 miles.
I paid $750.00 for the bike and had most of the other stuff I equiped it with.
So, some people can travel on old bikes and enjoy the heck out of it.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote