View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #3216
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
So, last summer I took nearly 2 months and went on a 48 state road ride, solo.

This summer I'm looking at a much shorter trip, 2 weeks long. I really enjoyed the brief time I was in the mountain states and want to return to Yellowstone and see several other national parks on the way. I'm better equipped than last summer, having gotten rid of the Shadow in favor of a Tiger.

I'm looking at leaving July 5th and returning the 20th (or possibly earlier, but no later).

Route will be about 50/50 of highway and dirt. Still in the planning phases as far as route is concerned, but wanting to go through Crown King and Prescott on the way out of town to Jerome and camp out above Sedona in the treeline on day 1, spin by the southeast corner of the Grand Canyon on day 2 before ending up at Zion NP, go to Bryce Canyon NP on day 3, a couple days offroad seeing Utah high country before getting to Grand Teton NP on day 5, and about 3 days at Yellowstone after that. Return route is currently unplanned... maybe ride the Continental Divide Trail south through Colorado to New Mexico, then US-64 back to AZ?

If anyone is interested in joining me, send me a PM. I've got two tentative riders that may be coming, and I think 4-6 people would be a perfect sized group for this ride. Trip is still in very flexible planning stages.
Sounds like a fun ride. I won't be able to make it at that time, but I can give you a few pointers.

Don't forget that it's going to be very hot getting out of the valley and even up into Sedona and the Grand Canyon area that time of year. I also hear it can be hot up in Utah, but I've never been. Last year I did a ride at that time of year and I bought a cooling vest for $35 off ebay that did wonders. Check out the ride report in my signature line to see how that went. It doesn't look like we went as far north as you want to go, but I can say that the mountains East and West of Santa Fe were spectacular and much cooler than it is around here come summer time.

I'm looking forward to hearing about how this unfolds.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote