View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #49
Timbatrader
n00b

Oddometer: 3
gone back to an old school bike after problems with tech

I have both an R1150RT and a R100GSPD Iíve had the RT from new and have abandoned it in favor of the GS not sure whether it is an old verses new thing or just that BMW have lost their way. The engineers no longer run the place instead Accountants Marketing gurus and stylist make the calls.
Issues that lead me to this conclusion.
Without a fully charged battery that is less than a year old the bike wonít start
It is not possible to get to the battery to charge it, change or jump-start it, without removing all fairings fuel tank etc.
If you leave the bike without using it and without connecting to a battery charger for more than a couple of weeks you are up for a strip down again it doesnít seem possible to disconnect the battery when not using it and that little clock must use a hell of a lot of juice.
Another problem was on the 1150RTís they had power assisted ABS brakes they gave me heaps of problems while under warranty which they fixed OK but after the warranty finshed the quoted price to fix was more than the bike is worth so thatís why I am now riding an old R100 it might breakdown more often but when it does I can see what the problem is and generally any small town mechanic can get me going again
Timbatrader is offline   Reply With Quote