View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 AM   #818
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,627
Actually talked with a Dunlop rep and engineer at the Cleveland Cycle World Motorcycle Show.

No mold coating used, we all know that by now.

The tire could use some miles just to start the heat cycling process to get the tires where they should be chemically. So they might not have best adhesion for a fair amount of riding time. He said it takes a few heat cycles to essentially set the compound characteristics. As for the surface, when pressed a bit he felt it makes sense to run in the tires a bit to roughen the surface a bit. Basically riding in a normal fashion increasing cornering lean incrementally over time rather than just slam it in. Racers don't go full tilt instantly either.

His biggest concern and his opinion for the "break in" time... Handling. the new tire is so different in feel from the worn out one put on the bike, the rider may make a riding error due to the handling now working as it should. That is especially true of riders who wear a tire to the max and those who ride underinflated tires. We had one guy bring his Gold Wing back to the shop telling us to get "that road race tread" tire off his bike. I think it had a more rounded Michelin on it over the slightly more oval Tour Elite of the time. His problem was the bike was actually handling as it was supposed to.

The rep felt that was what made many riders crash on new tires. They're ready for the bike to work one way and it is a shock when it doesn't do what they expect.

He did say the same thing I did about the new bike out of the crate - preservative sprayed on the bike will be on the tires too. That is one time when the tires should be "broken in" to wear the preservative spray off the tread. He reaffirmed the fact that any tire cleaner/shines will leach the preservatives out of the tire and that it was also possible the preservative can come to the surface when a bike sits for a long time making it prudent to ride a bit careful for the first few miles and corners.

A lot of this was the same thing I learned from a Bridgestone rep back around 1987 at a Honda parts/accessories seminar. To add flame to the fire I was also told the minor cracking of the tire rubber compound due to age and "drying out" (preservative being exhausted) was not a problem unless you can see the tire cord through the crack. Of course that would no longer be one of those tiny cracks, it would be a significant crack in the rubber. Flame on!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote