View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 06:05 AM   #99
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Some of us do use our bikes as our full time all weather transportation, some of us do need to be concerned with the expense of service and repairs, some of us keep our bikes many years.

For some of us, user maintainability trumps technical superiority.
I attended a Open Wrench Night at a private bike building garage, riding in on my 50s vintage scoot. There was a Britbike on the repair stand, something old with an Amal carb. I asked about the metal hoses on the outside of the cylinder. External oil lines. I mentioned my bike didn't have an oil pump. That piqued the host's interest, he is interested in how different schools of thought design motorcycles. I showed him how the oil vapor was delivered to the valve levers by removing the oil cap and feeling the air pumping out. There are little points molded into the inside of the cylinder head cover that drip the condensed lubricant onto the bushings. The oil is distributed by the crankshaft that splashes oil around. This may sound primitive, but it is part of an old formula for reliability. No oil pump, no tiny passageways, no moving parts except the already moving crankshaft. The engine doesn't turn very fast, and ignition points last many years, and are simple to set. This simplicity and formactive design makes diagnosis of a problem so elementary that even I can do it. The valves have a single angle, the last time I burned a valve I lapped in a new one, no machining. The pushrods need no attention. The final drive is an enclosed engine component. The bike was designed by aircraft engineers to be reliable, and they succeeded.