View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 12:47 AM   #49
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post

Another poster suggested twice his hand reaching the front brake lever was faster than his brain. Can we all agree that the brain has to perceive a threat BEFORE the body can take any action? Can we also agree a four finger stab on the brake lever might not end well?
Nope. That's how martial arts like Karate works, your brain actually reacts and does the right thing before it's concious of acting. "Muscle memory".

I'll admit, I don't cover the front brake all the time, but when things get interesting, a couple of fingers are there hovering before a real threat appears.

I also still bounce rather than break - my thanks to those Judo lessons I had in my twenties - I may have been bloody awful at Judo , ( anyone who knew me back then would agree with that) but it's saved me from broken bones many times since.

The four finger stab at the brakes, yes and no. I have an ABS bike now, that's the 'correct' thing to do, but covering with one finger is what was discussed, that works, and unless you are superman, that's enough to get SOME brake without a front wheel lock.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote