Thread: Touring on UJM
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #44
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Which honda 500s are you talking about? The ones I see look like fun bikes, but with no way to stack gear and luggage on the back like the old UJMs.
The CB500X, CB500R, and CB500F. A lot of good luggage options are available, but you're right, they don't have the wide/broad seats and ability to fit large luggage racks like some UJM's. I brought this model up not to suggest it is a great touring bike, but to present it as a modern-day equivalent of bikes like the old CB350, CB400 Hawks, etc. that folks were lamenting about and saying you couldn't buy a cheap/simple bike today. These 500's are well-rounded and great-performing twins for KLR money.

If you want a modern UJM, the obvious answer is a CB1100. Or a used ZRX which is water-cooled, but otherwise fits the UJM mold to a tee. You can pick up a nice ZRX for $3K and it will run rings around any 70's and 80's UJM.

BTW, having restored both a Suzuki GS750 and a Honda CB750, I disagree with you about Suzuki having better old-bike parts support than Honda and Kawasaki. Honda is by far the best of the Japanese mfgs, and BMW is the best I've seen overall.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 10:13 AM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote