View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #41
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
As long as you always stay on paved roads an adventure style bike is useless. There's everything out there from sporty to comfy and all in all it's just better. Only if you are very tall and/or have long legs, the adv style bike might come handy on Pved roads, but still in general the suspension will be too soft.
I bought an R1100GS primarily as a street bike that I could occasionally take on a dirt road. Useless? Lets see. It was nearly as good of a two up touring bike as my Venture 1200. Solo I rode up to 800 miles per day. It worked as well as my buddies Duc 916/GSXR750/900RR etc for sport riding in the smokies. There was nothing that it didn't do well except for real off road riding. There simply wasn't another bike available that could match it for overall performance at that time. Shorter travel BMW's like the R1100RS couldn't match it as a sport bike without modifications due to lack of cornering clearance.

One of the biggest advantages of most ADV style bikes is the wide handlebars and upright seating position which makes them feel lighter. For example, I swapped bikes with friend on occasion. Compared to the R1100GS an RC51 or CBR600F3 felt heavy, even though they where lighter bikes.

The R1200GS is a big improvement over my old R1100GS. I would pick it over any current sport touring bike.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote