View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #17
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Oddometer: 223
After I finished working I stopped by the Hotel Del Coronado. This is the center piece of Coronado Island. This is my opinion and it's hard to argue.

The sun was setting and I figured I would try some photos and see how they turned out. I parked and walked out in front of the hotel on the beach and around the sides to show the majority of the building.

The Hotel Del Coronado

The Hotel was built and completed in 1888 and was the largest resort hotel in the world at that time. It is the second largest wooden structure in the United States and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1977, and is a designated California Historical Landmark.

I noticed something of a crowd around what could only be a sand castle and went to investigate. It was pretty impressive, either that or I'm easy to impress. If you look close you can see openings between the arches.

The man in the white t-shirt "The Sand Castle Man" is the builder of this creation.

Not to take away from the beauty of the Hotel but, as with all old things there is a ghost story to go with it. You can look it up if you like, I found it interesting. It involves a pretty mid-western girl, an unborn child, and a gambling man, with a dark stormy night thrown in to make it interesting!
Searching for Sanity: Newest Chapter- Death Valley
AKMotorbiker is offline   Reply With Quote