View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #254
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
By the time you realize you are too hot for a corner, the outcome is already determined. All you can do is make it worse. You can not always make it better. So no fear, lean the bike, hang off to the inside if you can, at least lean to the inside. If you do not make it, you were never going to make it. If you do, it is because you did not make it worse.
You know I was gonna disagree, but then I thought about is some more, and now I agree. Why??

Think about it a bit deeper than just one corner ..... "By the time you realize you are too hot for a corner, the outcome is already determined. All you can do is make it worse". A positive outcome won't be determined by anything you do differently for this corner, because its just a tad late to be thinking for the first time now what did they say to do in the video? A positive outcome will actually come from riding around the corner just the normal well practiced way you approach every corner of that type at speed (and all the various techniques this involves).

That 'normal' way will have been determined by the commitment you've made to developing your riding skills, and practicing these skills. That's why I strongly disagree with folk who believe advanced riding skills like significant weight shifting only belong on the track. It might get you a gold plated piece of plastic mounted on a piece of wood at a club track meet, but it may actually save your life on the road.

So yes I agree "the outcome is already determined" as your approaching the corner....... by the amount of practice and commitment you've previously applied.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote