View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #51
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
There was a young motorcycle road racer in the late 1990's. He raced 250GP TZ's on AMA. I think he was champ one year too. His name is Roland Sands. Turns out he is an artist like you. Plus his Dad built a mondo custom Harley parts mfg called Precision Machine. Mostly wheels for choppers.

Roland walked away from all that to start a custom bike fab shop of his own. His work is unlike anything anybody else builds. They are working sculptures. They are a unique mix of performance and classic elements. His racing roots are clearly on display in all of his masterpieces. He's in LA. You should reach out and see if you could work in his studio for a few months. You probably have skills he could take advantage of, and you might learn something special about yourself.

Yeah, your teaching pays terribly. You'll never keep a decent woman happy on that, let alone be happy yourself. You are doing the right thing in trying to find a good way to move on. Don't give up. You'll find your groove if you keep trying.

Walt Seigl, too, both a racer and an artist. I already contacted Walt and never got a reply. Have contacted about 10 shops so far about apprenticeships and have gotten a big fat no each time. They either don't have the time, don't want to create a competitor, etc. I'm just going to buy a thumper engine and rebuild it, then move on to a twin, etc. It'd be nice to get some real experience and know-how about stuff like suspension/chassis and engine stuff...but I'll figure it out. I've taught myself everything else I know how to do, so that's what I'll do this time, too.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote