View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #4576
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfire View Post
Has anyone rode from the Bay Area down to Death Valley, and how long did it take you?
And also what route did you take?
Google Maps is recommending 5 to 58 to 14 to 395. But Hwy 50 over to 395 is only 9 minutes longer and 47 miles shorter. And... I wouldn't have to deal with all the trucks on 5 or 99. This latest weather front is going to make sure that 108 and 120 will stay closed for a while.

I'll be heading down April 8th thru the 15th on a 2008 KLR with plenty of gear.

Hi Kampfire,

We get down to DV a couple of times every winter from the BA on loaded KLRs ... Here is a screenshot of the two general ways we go over the Sierras ... to the east they keep 88, 50 and 80 plowed ... and down south 155, 178 and 58 ...

This map shows us dropping into Saline Valley from Lone Pine over North Pass ... to get to DV we'd go south over South Pass to 190 just west of Panamint ... The other way to Furnace Creek from Lone Pine is to stay on Death Valley Road to Ubehebie Crater ...

We often camp at Carrizo Plain, which is why the route goes so far to the south east ... I think the whole loop is about a thousand miles ... usually don't try to make it to DV in a day ...

Comanche Point Road is a dual-sport road just south of 58 ... you can hook up to Old Stage Road (the one by California City), Trona Pinnacles to the Escape Route and Mengle Pass and come into Furnace Creek from the south ... That way avoids 155/178/58 ... but is way south if you are in a rush ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfire View Post
I'm taking three days down to get to Prescott Arizona and decided to see Death Valley on the bike this time ... I'm actually trying to make Wildrose Camp in one day from Napa and plan on leaving here around 5:00 AM.
Just saw this ...

We'd head 88/395 to Lone Pine and south to DV from there along Death and/or Saline Valley Roads ... lots of dispersed camping ... also, probably the shortest mileage to DVNP from Napa ... we avoid the established campgrounds unless there is a hot spring or we're trying to meet someone ...

Have fun and post pics!
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 03-27-2014 at 01:33 PM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote