View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 11:37 AM   #12
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279
Later that morning after breakfast we backtracked inland on the way to Port St Johns. These grassy plains had one hell of a wind blowing. Still pretty though.

There are quite a few falls in the area. Can't recall the name of this one but it is above Fraser Falls.

Posing in the Magwa tea plantations.

We popped in for a beer at Mbotyi hotel. It is truly a fantastic spot, but earlier in the year they had an armed robbery. This left them with only 25% occupation for the December holidays. The manager told us how the robbers twice tried to shoot him in the head. The pistol had (lucky for him) stopped working after they shot and killed the guard at the gate. They then knocked him unconscious and was dragging him by his leg past this pool when the guests having dinner saw the commotion and raised the alarm.

View from the deck.

Local art, calabash covered with hide.

Mbotyi forest.

Arriving in Port St Johns we came across this low spec GS.

Streetlights. It takes a special kind of person to live in Port St Johns. It is my favourite South African town by far.

See what I mean? Special. We had brunch here and were offered dagga (dope) by a friendly hawker (read dealer).

The interior of the establishment.

The view.

Taking a break. Funny how a 150km stretch can be so tough after lunch and a few beers.

Our next stay over, Ndumbi backpackers near Coffee Bay. Had a memorable evening here. Surreal. Only got up at 10:00 the next morning, felt like shit.

Leaving the backpackers in perfect riding weather. Perked me right up.

Stopped for brunch at White Clay. It's between Coffee Bay and Hole in the Wall. Highly recommended for being the pub with the most spectacular view in the Transkei.

Seat belts on. As it was Hennie's first trip with the kid it was a bit of a learning curve. Turns out kids tend to fall asleep quite easily. Solution, strap her to dad's back.

We stuck mostly to gravel roads with the odd cattle track thrown in.

On the lawn in front of our room at Kob Inn Hotel. Lovely place to end a days riding.

Next day, final stretch home. Lovely riding still.

Typical Transkei scenery. We ride here often on the offroads. I'll post a report on that later.

Nardus trying to rein in the 640. Once it's head is turned homewards you need a strong hand.

Crossing the pont at Kei Mouth. 20 min from home and an excellent way to have spent these 3 days.

metaljockey screwed with this post 11-14-2006 at 05:39 PM Reason: Resizing pics
metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote