View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #441
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Oddometer: 248
Schuberth c3 pro vs laser monaco carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
My daughter needs a new helmet and we have narrowed it down to the C3 Pro for women and the lazer monaco carbon. She presently has a Nolan N90 and feels it is a tank (she picks up either my Nexx XR1R carbon or my Lazer falcon carbon and gets very jealous). My wife has a C3 so she has some idea about the Schuberth (she will be trying one on shortly). Lazer helmets are not something that you can find to try so I wanted to get your opinion about one vs the other, weight, fit, comfort, noise, etc. Either way I am buying them from you and I would prefer not to buy both for her to try on and send one back.

She rides a Triumph Bonneville without a windscreen but is considering adding one. Thanks
Hey cruisincruzan,

Below is a picture of a C3 Pro Women's helmet (Medium = 3lbs 10.2oz) and LaZer Monaco Carbon (Medium = 3lbs 5.6oz). Please excuse my poor camera skills.

C3 Pro Women's (Medium) vs LaZer Monaco Carbon (Medium) photo 20140414_104917_zpsef3dc23f.jpg

Ounce for ounce, the Monaco is 4.6oz lighter. Side by side, the Schuberth is noticeably smaller in overall size. The Monaco has a larger overall profile and should feel heavier at speed due to wind resistance without a windshield.

From a fit and comfort standpoint, the Monaco runs narrow, while the Women's C3 Pro is slightly round (based on my intermediate oval head shape). For riders with narrow faces, the Monaco should also be more comfortable. I found the C3 to be more forgiving around the jawbone. The C3's interior liner and cheek pads felt thicker and more dense compared to the Monaco. Thicker interior liners will add weight, but also have a more forgiving fit after break-in. Finally, I had more chinbar room in the Schuberth. My chin was very close to the Monaco's chinbar and I'm no Jay Leno...although I'd like to own his garage(s), hah.

Which helmet is quieter? The helmet that fits your daughter's head shape best will most likely be the quietest, because it will seal around her head better. I noticed the Monaco was a bit squeaky when manipulating the chinbar. However, this is mostly due to the Monaco being a pure carbon shell and not a composite blend.

This is personal preference but, one of my favorite things about the Monaco is the Lumino Photochromic Transitions faceshield with Pinlock. However, if your daughter is sensitive to the sun, she may need something darker. The Lumino shield transitions to a Smoke tint. Some riders need Dark Smoke to be completely comfortable.

Give me a shout if you have any more questions or if I can snap a few more pictures (I can use the practice).

Ride safely,

-HVB

/r/RevZilla Subreddit | RevZilla Career Opportunities

Helping riders with gear and little old ladies cross the street | RevZilla.com
ZLAHiVizBrian is offline   Reply With Quote