View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #376
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
Yes, thanks.

On further thought I probably would not be picking up 2K# rocks, but rather probably 1000 or less. I want the extra lifting capacity to have some margin of safety and workload.

One neighbor just got a load of gravel and some fairly large boulders 4 to 5 feet across - thinking they are well over 2K#. I know he won't be able to lift them with his compact tractor which I think is a B-something Kubota, or around that size.

Other neighbor just ordered an L3800 HST with loader and mower. He got the 5 series loader which is only 1500# capacity.

I would like to find a deal on an L series or about that size with both loader and backhoe. I recognize that the backhoe would be very useful for what I want to do - especially lifting a large rock and placing it somewhere. I have at least several hundred feet of sloping embankments I want to put large rocks on, and I may also build some terraces. Lifting and placing that rock by hand is out of the question, using a loader would be clumsy and time consuming, with final placement probably being done by hand as the loader would lack the precision of the backhoe.

That said, I looked at my finances and I decided to hold off until next year. So far I spent $14K this year on property improvements, I will soon spend another $7K in a month or so, and the year isn't half over yet. Probably get a flail mower for the BCS too. So the only way I can really get the tractor I want, used or new, is a loan. Kubota has 0% loans on new tractors, but I don't want the additional debt and payments at this point, so I will hold off for a while.

I will make do with the 2 wheel tractor this year. It can't lift things, or pull them, but it can mow, till and push a little dirt. Mostly this year I want to get the slash piles burnt and use a dozer to level the ruts caused by logging and to clear some additional brush. Next year I can mess with the rock.

As for the HST vs. gears - for what I will be doing, I would prefer the HST. I will be doing a lot of moving stuff around, speeding up and slowing down, going back and forth, the kind of tasks that an HST is better for.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote