View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #39
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by portalespeanut View Post
Interesting question...there's a world of difference between the either system depending if you're considering 'highway' or 'offroad'. I would like to speak to the offroad side of this discussion - First, many of the developments in suspension have been born out of the dirtbike world with single shock rising rate suspensions finally taking over from the twin shock world...for many reasons. While rising rate single shock suspensions are the norm for offroad, I will say that some of the last long travel twin shock setups on some dirtbikes of the '80's (yes, I'm old), were incredible.

Case in point, I have a '80's model Husky with the twin shock configuration...it has the Olins remote res. style shocks with about 13 inches of travel that have been tuned by Scotts Suspensions. The quality and quantity of the suspension travel is incredible...and surprisingly good, even today. It was superior to the single shock rising rate CR500 which replaced it in my barn at that time. Recently, I took the old Husky off-roading with some friends, and one of my buddies wanted to swap bikes for a bit so he could sample a 'vintage bike'. He was shocked (no pun intended) at the suspension, remarking, "This thing is awesome across the desert...it eats everything in sight!...but where's the brakes!!!" The old Husky has a surprisingly competent suspension, even by today's standards...as long as one's not comparing it to the latest in pro level competition machinery.

A good, well tuned twin shock setup is an excellent suspension...my Husky can still cross brutally rough terrain at speed with great control...it's only shortcoming is that it's slightly more 'harsh' due to the fact that it's not a rising rate suspension. While not super plush, it is competent and confidence inspiring, always working with you, and never surprising you. Single shock suspensions rule now, and are tuneable, versatile, and reliable...they rule for good reason, but they are NOT the only way to suspend a rear end of a bike...just my .02 cents...
Like I said, the main con is the shock is exposed to be bent, that's about it. They can work incredibly well.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote